Lawn Sprinkler Systems
Sprinkler Types: The Differences Between Them and When to Use Them
If you are looking to purchase a lawn sprinkler system for your home or business, it is important to know about all the different types, so you can get the system that will work best for your needs. A lawn sprinkler system will spray water up into the air and rain down onto the desired location. You can use a lawn sprinkler system to provide water for lawns, gardens, yards, and crops. Here are the different types of lawn sprinkler systems so you can choose the one that is right for you:
- Fixed- A type of sprinkler that sprays water in a single pattern over an area. They are designed for smaller yards, but are a great option for hard to reach places. Considered a more economical system.
- Oscillating- Lawn sprinkler system characterized by a back and forth motion. They are commonly used to water residential lawns and have a gentle stream.
- Impact/Impulse- Sprays a single jet of water in a circle that allows for the water to reach a wide area while still using low pressure. This lawn sprinkler system is known for being less likely to clog.
- Rotating- A rotating sprinkler has two or more arms that spray water through small holes to cover a large rectangular area. With this system, you can evenly distribute water over a medium sized lawn. An advantage to using rotating lawn sprinkler systems is that they have adjustable features.
- Tractor/Traveling- These sprinklers are attached to a hose and move throughout the yard with a platform. The platform allows the sprinkler to distribute the water equally over the surface. This system is best used with an area that is oddly shaped and needs equal watering throughout.
- In Ground or Pop-Up- Both of these lawn sprinkler systems will provide water coverage over a large area. They are great because the system is in the ground and pops up when needed. They can also be divided into zones or used with a timer to water at certain times during the day.
- Hose- Ideal for smaller areas. Provides a low flow of water to plants and gardens. Great for residential use.
When deciding which lawn sprinkler system is best for you, make a list of your needs. Determine how large of an area you need to water, how often it needs to be watered, and also think about if you want to water it manually or automatically.